This isn’t representative of every forecaster, however I can attest to having a variety of thoughts during each WxChallenge forecast period. These are just some of the thoughts I’ve had (Disclaimer: solely for comedic purposes), but perhaps these have run through your head as well.
1) PLEASE GOOD LORD LET THIS PRECIPITATION STOP BEFORE MIDNIGHT.
2) Oh my goodness it totally didn’t stop, dang it.
3) Kodiak, AK should be fuuuuun to forecast for.
4) [one day later] This isn’t fun.
5) But will the Euro nail this trough placement?
6) [scrolling through a GFS run] And there’s the 240 hour tornado.
7) I live in the south, winter precipitation forecasting is a myth.
8) Oh look, a snow map that would be highly controversial.
9) I hope I don’t get struck by the dastardly midnight low again. [looks at MOS] NOT THIS TIME, BUDDY.
10) Oh will this system take a trip to heli-city? I don’t see it’s CAPE.